An age old way of sourcing candidates for the job starts with giving the call: “Vacancy advertisements” in newspapers, it has soon evolved in to job posting on specialized editions and later into online relevant job location portals. The system follows a familiar way: Invite applications, schedule interviews and select the best fit in the lot. This method has served its purpose for decades now and is almost on the verge of becoming obsolete. Of course there is no harm in employing this method but you certainly will not reach your recruitment goals of sourcing good candidates, if this is the only method you had to use for sourcing the right candidates.
It has been found that there are not more than 30% of applicants who are in an active pursuit of job; the remaining 70% of the club is the combination of folks who are not in an active pursuit i.e. employed people who are not in search of jobs and also the folks looking for better positions. So basically by resorting to this age old practice of job posting you are only targeting those 30% of active job seekers and are most probably missing out on the majority. It was also found that more than 45 % of the applicants who respond and apply to your job posting do tailor their resume to suit your needs i.e. they are under skilled.
Statistically speaking, 45% of 30% is not good by any means, isn’t it? The fact that everything we said above is under the assumption that your job posting is visible (which is usually not) to all of this 14% of active applicants must worry you too. You do not get hold of the best candidates here. Not only that your exposure is very low, there is not much in your hands except for waiting. Yes, there was a time when job posting was effective but that was when it was the only go to option for sourcing. Isn’t it wonderful if you can get access to all the best candidates where entire control lies in your hands regarding the qualifications you need?
Yes, you bet it is. The process is C.V Sourcing and you can find more about it here.